why it works {small + smart}

I am always on the look out for smartly designed small spaces. This tiny flat designed by the homeowner, Sarah Vanrenen, is just incredible. It works and feels so much larger than it is for so many reasons. For starters the hanging chair is a brilliant solution for this small bay window--it is functional and creates a much airier feel than a traditional chair would, it saves floor space and not to mention that you can see through it.

The all over bright white palette (the floors, walls and even the cabinetry) makes this flat instantly feel larger.

The white also allows all the bold punches of colors used the home to pop. This was smart, as is it keeps the eye moving around the room and guests noticing things other than the size.

Lastly, mirrors--always a great way to open up a room. She strategically placed a very large (and white) one directly over the dining area which adds a nice hint of architectural detail as well.

(via british homes and gardens)
Besides being a well designed it is full of some many lovely details and just stunning. It also has left me lusting for a plum pom pom pillow!

Comments

liza said…
I love this one. The bubble chair is perfect there.
Junior & Mario said…
I love this small space, very cosy, confort and colour!!!!!
Glamour Drops said…
Such a happy, bright and natty space!
Unknown said…
Beautiful!! White with pops of colour is what I did with my school apartment because it's tiny tiny haha
My Many Moments said…
These photos are gorgeous! I love the roman shades in the last picture. I actually would mind that whole kitchen.
Take Care
Heather
Callie Grayson said…
one small wonder that is completely cosy!!
xx
callie
theappletea said…
this is a great space! LOVE IT! COSY :)

have a good day :) kisses!
Lilacandgrey said…
i love everything you posted here, but that bubble chair is a MUST for me!!
PS. love your blog-I will def be following!
Appletree said…
I need my house to look like this pronto.
Linea R said…
I love the apartment!
full of color and detail!
Long live the small houses and imaginative heads!
Senja said…
i love this! totally my style! thanks for the inspiration!
J.Covington said…
Great space - well done. Yes, I love how a mirror can punch light around esp in the winter and really brighten a room with cheer. Nice post & site!
Alex
KC said…
ack! totally LOVE this place. the swinging chair in the bay window is genius!
amourette said…
i'm totally jealous of anyone with built in bookshelves
Jane Flanagan said…
Oh I love the bright pops throughout!
artdecodiamonds said…
I love the space.. very sweet and lovely!
Sarah Engel said…
cute swing in the window. I love all the unique pieces, especially in the kitchen dining space, so fun to have different chairs.
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful space!
Peggy and Fritz said…
I love those spaces. All the photos are great. I had to giggle because my profile picture is me in the bubble chair. It's done by a European company and my client use to import them to her Los Angeles showroom. It's actually quite comfortable. However, all those other spaces are so warm and cozy.
Creategirl said…
Wow what a fun space, I love how every piece is unique no matchy match here! The kitchen area might be my favorite, I can just see a morning brunch with friends there! Great post!
It seems that many of the readers point out the creativity in furniture choice. It's no longer necessary to have everything uniform. Having lived in NYC I know that difficulty of making small spaces comfortable and homey and it has definitely been accomplished here. Great use of color, texture and patterns that detract from the fact it's a small space.
LatteLisa said…
I just found your blog and I'll definitely visit again ;-)

Greetings from an Icelander in Belgium,
Lisa
Julie Holloway said…
You win the award for the best taste in the universe. This kitchen/dining room is amazing! Lifting this for my files for sure. Hope you're well!
Decor Chicks said…
I love the mix of chairs around the table. So fun!
samia said…
I love this place completely.. the white is so pure so clean and the accessories are adding so much personality.. beautifully blended
everything about this place is awesome. first time on your blog...i'm your newest follower!
Sozony said…
Amazing decoration .Love these so much .
Robert smith said…
These decorations are so attractive. I really like these all. Thanks
Raster To vectorclipping path service

Popular Posts