styling [floor to ceiling shelves]

Styling just a couple of floating shelves in the living room is hard enough, let alone styling floor to ceiling shelves. There are so many routes to go, but these are my favorite. First you can use the shelved wall as though it was an other wall in the room by placing a sofa against it or even hanging a mirror or on the shelf frame--all while still utilizing the shelves for storage.


Or you could add sliding glass doors over the shelves in order to add some framing and protection for the items inside.

I also love the look of books when they are stacked in piles versus upright. It also allows the placement of breakable items next the books without the worry of the books falling over on to them.

And they do look lovely when they contain no books at all and are just touched with a few lovely vases, pieces of china or leaning photos.


Although difficult there is something so clean about ones with a monochromatic color scheme .


And lastly, the style this is most like mine--a little bit of of all these styles all in mixed in to one bookshelf.


(images via i suwannee, melanie acevedo, hus and hem via made by girl, via velvet and linen, paul costello, aaron hom, michael del piero, steven gambrel, canadian house and home and furbish studio)
OK, that turned into a much longer post than I planned--but there are just so many options! So, what is your shelf styling style?

Comments

Couture Carrie said…
I adore floor-to-ceiling shelving... such a fabulous use of space, and books are so pretty to look at! Gorgeous post, darling B!

xoxox,
CC
liza said…
Funny, I'm definitely a white walls fan, but I'm loving that second, very cozy room. I love that the insides of the nooks are dark. Thank you, Blair, for the inspiration.
Rachel Follett said…
These are such great ideas! I love the mirror on the bookshelf. I don't think I would have ever thought to do that. Thank you!
Rachel said…
I love all of these looks. I really like the monochromatic scheme and the large mirror.
Valerie said…
Hey Blair Long time no see!! I like the first set of shelves but I love French Country!! Love the white dishes also!! And I enjoyed your post about hats...Problem is every where I look there are Cowboy hats hanging!!! HuHHH!!!
Valerie said…
Hey Blair Long time no see!! I like the first set of shelves but I love French Country!! Love the white dishes also!! And I enjoyed your post about hats...Problem is every where I look there are Cowboy hats hanging!!! HuHHH!!!
Cathi said…
love the floor to ceiling shelving...!
Callie Grayson said…
great post!
I change my shelves on whim, whenever i get inspired.

xx
callie
I have BIG PLANS to do floor to ceiling shelves in an little mini-office we have. Big Plans I tell you! Styling wise, I'm picturing some built-in lighting and irreverent family photos...

And can I just say that I have been jealous of katie lee joel's pants in that photo for about two years? i want a pair like that SO MUCH!
I love all of these. Esp that first image. I would say mine is a mix- stacked books and vertical books... and some other things mixed in.
Well, the shelves in my studio are filled top to bottom. The shelves in my home are uncluttered. I love shelving of almost any type. Glass shelving inside cabinets are wonderful with mirror and light. Everything sparkles.
Anonymous said…
I love these Blair and that third image is my favorite! I also worry about dusting/cleaning things like this but guess that's not a huge deal, right?

Also love the free hanging shelves towards the bottom. Trying to get my mother to put them in her new bathroom!
I love books stacked up too.
Hanna said…
Those are all very nice but my favourite is the 3rd picture. But how come shelves look always so much better in pictures :)
ahh this is all great *smile* but you're not factoring in my 2yo with inquisitive arms *grin*, are you! lol
bluehydrangea said…
Love, love, love all these pictures. the first img. is already in my favorites file and the second pic is going in there now!!
paula said…
so gorgeous! I love bookshelves, especially when they look like these.
Christina said…
i say the more shelving the better. where else are we going to put all of our books?!
Creategirl said…
oh I love this post! My favorite way to "wake up" a room is to take everything off the bookshelves and start over, it is instant freshness. Depending on the style of the room depends on the style of bookcase. Great post!
Courtney said…
I definitely love a good book and a well organized book shelf! Much like you, I organize with a little of this, a little of that and constantly re-arrange the shelves.

Agreed: great post.
simplesong said…
i've always loved the 5th photo/shelves. great round-up! all so lovely.
PS~Erin said…
Love built in shelving with a mixture of books and personal momentos.
Beautiful Blair - you are a total genius - thank you for this post! Desperately wanting to put in some shelving at home, this post is a total inspiration. x
Unknown said…
I'd love to find the bookshelf in the fourth picture down. Do you know where you got that picture from or who makes that bookcase?

Thank you.
Carey said…
Feeling impress after seeing your jobs . Very gorgeous . remove white background

Popular Posts