2.27.2015

Culinary Confidence {Fennel Roasted Sweet Potato, Beet & Chickpea Salad}

It has taken me eight years to get over my fear of experimental cooking. You see, as a confident 24 year old I was convinced that I was naturally brilliant and didn't need a cookbook.  One night I decided  I could make stuffed peppers "off the cuff" to impress someone - long story short it was an epic fail.  I relive my dinner partner's reaction whenever the idea of cooking from instinct creeps in to my head.  Tonight for the first time since that experience I decided to listen to my inner culinary voice and the result was one of the best meals that I have ever made!  Maybe it was chance but the high of culinary success definitely is overshadowing the past shame.  So here is visual evidence of my foray back into the scary world of putting away the recipe card..
It may look simple but the flavors were complex and incredibly satisfying. This salad was built from a bed of subtly sweet maiche and topped with roasted slices of beets, sweet potatoes and chickpeas that were tossed with olive oil, salt and fennel. 
A couple of crumbles of feta added the perfect dash of salt...and bon appetit!